Friday, November 5, 2010

Thirty Interesting Ways to use Twitter in the Classroom

There is a link to this topic on the Interesting Ways page, but recent events have compelled me to bring the link out here: Thirty Interesting Ways to Use Twitter in the Classroom.   Teachers in elementary school classrooms in the Wawasee district are now actively using Twitter in their classrooms.  They are increasing real-world opportunities for their students to write.  They are using Twitter to connect with other kids around the world and share their learning.  They are demonstrating that increasing opportunities to write increases skill levels in writing.

These are educators who have come to understand that social media is here to stay.  It will not go away and is the preferred method of communication for most of our students.  These same educators have invited me to join them and explore ways for our students to share their learning with each other.  I gave them the link to Thirty Interesting Ways to use Twitter in the Classroom.  Then, I told them Twitter was blocked in Warsaw, at least, I know it is for me.  The last time I asked, I was told unblocking Twitter and Facebook was being considered.  There was a time it was unblocked for me for more than a year.

I told the Wawasee teachers that WCS was still considering the question.  Maybe now is the time.  Maybe now is the time for us to join the discussion.  I would love to know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment